Summer is here and NJ online casinos are offering up some tasty tidbits to keep you interested.
While you may want to head to the nearest beach or pool, there are some mighty tempting new games at NJ online casinos to test out, including blackjack and roulette additions, and a couple casinos adding a live dealer format to their game library.
P.S. As a reminder, all NJ online casinos have both iOS and Android apps for your smartphones and tablets, so you can go to the beach/pool and still have fun playing your favorite casino games!
Golden Nugget is still outpacing the pack by a fair margin.
With 553 total games in its library, its nearest competitor has just 509. The crew at Golden Nugget spent May increasing just the slot titles, with 12 new games for you to play, bringing its slot offerings to 496.
The balance of its library contains 18 blackjack variations (the most of any NJ online casino), 21 video poker games, and 18 table games. And of course, let’s not forget the live dealer offerings.)
The new titles this month are:
- Black Diamond
- Elephant King
- Gypsy Riches
- Lightning Gems
- Lotus Land
- Ocean Magic
- Smokin Hot Gems
- The Big Easy
- The Legend of Bigfoot
Betfair is slowly making its way to the 400-game mark with eight new gaming additions in the last month.
It is one of the few NJ online casinos to add a new blackjack variation — Blackjack Multi-Hand — and a new table game — Roulette Master — in the last month. This brings Betfair’s gaming total to 389, including 356 slots, seven blackjack variations, 11 video poker options, and 15 table games.
Among its new slots are three diverse games:
- Fat Cat Classix: This NextGen slot features cartoon-like characters, including Fat Cat himself, living the life of luxury. There is the Scatter symbol, represented by a dollar sign, that can earn you 10 free games with 3x prizes. Then there is the Fat Cat Wild, which is not only a standard Wild that can substitute for a symbol and complete winning paylines, but if it appears on reels 1 and 5, you’ll get a Bonus Round. Here you pick symbols and try to match two for a win. If a multiplier is revealed, your prize is multiplied by that amount, up to 500x.
- Huolong Valley: This Asian-inspired game from NXY features a brightly rendered background, which may be a bit too much for some players. But if you persist, you’ll enjoy a high Return to Player (RTP) percentage of 96.99%, and a Free Games Bonus Round that can be retriggered.
- The Big Easy: Head on down to New Orleans where music, food and drink are top priorities. All are represented on this slot, where the Crescent Moon serves as the Scatter symbol and three or more take you to the Free Spins Bonus Game. You start off heading to a side street in the French Quarter where you choose a Jazz Club—this will determine your free spins (8-25). Then you head inside to choose an instrument—this will determine your multiplier (2X-10X). this game is perfect to play with a little Jelly Roll Morton in the background and a tumbler of bourbon in hand.
Over at Virgin, things slowed up a bit as well, with only three new slot titles added. It now has 218 total games, including 196 slots, six each of blackjack and video poker, and 10 table games. One of Virgin’s newest slots will put you in the wayback machine and transport you to the 1980s when Miami Vice was the talk of television.
Hotline is the name of the game, which starts with a city scene and opening credits of a TV show, a la aforementioned Miami Vice.
You’re introduced to two detectives reminiscent of Crockett and Tubbs, and their jewel thief nemesis, a beautiful woman in a fast car sporting an ancient cell phone that most thirty-somethings wouldn’t even remember. This game features the typical Scatter—which awards 7 Free Spins—as well as a Wild.
The real treat with this game is the Hotline Bonus Bet. Players automatically have the center line activated as a Hotline, meaning that should a Wild hit, it will become an Expanding Wild and will remain through as many re-spins that award a win. Additionally, you can add Hotlines by clicking on the symbol to the left of the first or third line. Each time you do this it will increase your bet.
Add one Hotline, and it doubles your bet; add two Hotlines and it will triple your bet. While this is costly, I’ve seen some fantastic wins that can make it worthwhile.
Caesars continues to amp up the volume at its online site with the addition of 16 new slots in May. That brings its total slots up to 427, along with nine blackjack variations, 22 video poker options (the most of any NJ online casino), and 10 table games.
Currently, Caesars has 468 titles in its game library and is well on its way to the 500-mark.
Among its newest titles are:
- Excalibur: This game harkens back to Medieval England and the Knights of the Round Table. You’ll recognize King Arthur, and the magical duo of Merlin and Morgana, among other characters. The famous sword Excalibur serves as the regular Wild, and there is also a golden version of the sword that makes up a Golden Wild, where all pays are 4x. The Scatter symbol is a Golden Chalice, and get 3 or more and you’ll
- Lightning Gems: With its great graphics and realistic lightning storm soundtrack, this slot has a lot to offer. There’s the traditional Wild and Scatter, but also Wild Nudge and Wild Wins features. The Wild Nudge kicks in on any spin where you just miss a win, nudging a reel up or down to help complete a payline. Wild Wins can be added randomly during any spin, increasing your odds of a winning payline.
- Sword of Destiny: This slightly schizophrenic offering from SG Interactive is loaded with features and bonuses, including Expanded Wilds, Clumped Wilds, and the Temple Tower Jackpot. The base game also has four features that can be triggered, one of which expands the screen, adding two more rows and 25 extra paylines.
It’s a bit of a roller coaster over at 888 Casino. The online casino added 61 games during the month of April; then in May only one new slot title made its debut: 100,000 Pyramid.
This game, based on a popular television game show, is a 5×3 reel slot with 15 paylines and bets range from 15 cents to $450. The game offers Pyramid Wilds, which help to create winning paylines and is one key to the jackpot. There’s also a Winner’s Circle Bonus Feature that offers up to 36 free spins with a 9x multiplier.
This is an older game, but it does have a loyal following among slot players.
Taking into account this new addition, 888 now offers 150 slot titles, three blackjack options, and five table games, for a total of 158.
Pala added six new slot titles in May, five of which are Slingo titles. Slingo is where slots meet bingo, a unique spin on traditional slot games (pun intended). But each game is a little bit different, so let’s take a look:
- Slingo Extreme: This version brings a flaming fire element, which lights up the reels in flames as you Slingo through the grid. It also has a Free Spin Bonus Game.
- Slingo Fortunes: This variation has an Asian spin with each square represented by a red envelope, each of which contains a cash prize amount. The goal is to get rid of the envelopes with the lowest cash prizes and get a row of higher cash prizes for a win.
- Slingo Reel Bonus: Rather than the 5-column bingo grid of most Slingo games, this version features 5 reels and 20 paylines. Wins are paid for 3 or more of a kind on a win line. Land a Wild and it not only substitutes for a symbol to create a win, but it multiplies that win (2x).
- Slingo Reel Extreme: A more traditional Slingo variation that features bonus symbols that can trigger the Win Spins Bonus. During the bonus, you can choose from 16 spins at 2x, 8 spins at 4x or 4 spins at 8x.
- Slingo Showdown: Here you’ll find a Wild West theme with the goal to collect poker hands. You’ll have 9 deals per spin to mark off as many cards as possible. If you manage to hit a poker hand during your deal, you win.
With the addition of the new games, Pala now has 225 slot titles, four blackjack variations, eight video poker games and five table games, for a total of 242.
Tropicana had a slow May, adding just four titles to its gaming library, all slots. This bumped them up to a total of 225, still half of what most of the larger NJ online casinos are offering. But there are a lot of exclusive games (to Trop and its sister site, Virgin Casino), as well as the new Asgardian Stones, where an avalanche is actually a good thing.
This slot, from game maker NetEnt, features the mythology of Stonehenge and the mysterious city of Asgard. All symbols are etched in stone, including the faces of 3 men and 2 women, the A/K/Q, and the Wild. In this game, symbols rain onto the reels in the Avalanche feature, and those involved in a win explode, making room for another layer of symbols to fall.
As long as you have a win, you can keep those avalanches coming. Symbols can come as singles or as Colossal symbols in 2×2 or 3×3 grids. When any part of these Colossal symbols is included in a win, the whole grid explodes, leaving room for more symbols.
There’s also a Bonus Wheel, a 3×3 grid that appears on the last 3 reels. When it appears, it will spin after all avalanches have finished and you can win an additional prize, from cash to free spins. Free Spins are only achieved via the Bonus Wheel. You can win 5 to 15 spins, and the bonus can be retriggered.
Harrah’s has remained static for the last three months with no new game offerings at its online casino. Once again, its gaming library contains:
- 98 slots
- 1 blackjack variation
- 4 table games
Mohegan Sun was sooooo close to hitting that 500-mark in May, ending up with 499 total games in its library. The online casino added 13 new slot titles, bringing that total to 459, and remained steady on blackjack (10), video poker (20), and table games (10).
Among its newest slot titles are a few older games such as Day of the Dead, Cleo’s Wish and Treasures of Troy, as well as these new titles:
- Baywatch: Based on the popular TV show of the 1990s, this slot features original cast members David Hasselhoff, Pamela Anderson, Yasmine Bleeth, and David Charvet. There’s a Teamwork feature, a Wild Wave—that can expand full reel height and two reels wide—and a Free Spins bonus round.
- Wild Wild Gems: This is an old-school-style slot with single, double and triple 7s and single and double Bars. You’ll also find a Wild Jackpot (Sapphire) and 2x Wild Jackpot (Ruby). There is no Scatter, no Free Spins, no extra features. Just a very simplistic retro game that your grandmother probably played back in the day.
- WonderHounds: This fun slot features three distinctly different dogs. There’s Ace, the American fighter pilot, Winchester with British Sherlock Holmes garb, and Jinse, the lone female dressed to represent the Far East. The game features Wilds and a WonderHound Gone Wild Bonus, where on any spin one WonderHound may become Wild, per reel. The typical Scatter and Free Spins bonus game are also in play.
Resorts made it over the hump in May and can now boast more than 500 games in its library, including 469 slot titles, 10 blackjack options, 20 video poker variations, and 10 table games.
Among its newest slot titles are:
- Rawhide: This is a Konami/Spin Games creation with a Wild West theme. It has 5 reels and 30 paylines, with bet levels ranging from a low 30 cents up to a high of $300, making it suitable for players of all levels. You’ll find regular symbols—including a cowboy, bag of gold, wagon, windmill, and 9-Ace — as well as Action Stacked Symbols, which can help make for some big wins. The Reward Poster serves as the Wild, while the Sheriff’s Star serves as the Scatter symbol. Three or more Scatter symbols trigger the Free Spins Bonus Game, where you will get 10-25 spins. All spins during this round pay double (2X). The feature can also be retriggered.
- The Wild Life: This slot takes place on the African savannah with a backlit red sky. You’ll encounter zebra, rhinos, elephants, giraffes, and lions, as well as the Jack-Ace. The Wild, which appears on reels 2/3/4 only, can expand to fill the whole reel when it is part of a winning payline. Speaking of which, there are only 10 paylines, but they do pay left to right and right to left. The map of Africa serves as your Scatter symbol, three or more triggering the Free Spins Bonus Round. During that round, those Expanding Wilds turn into Sticky Wilds and hold in place for the duration of your spins (which can be retriggered).
PlaySugarHouse slowed its roll a bit in May with only five new slot titles. This is after having three consecutive months with more than 10 new titles added.
But it’s still growing steadily, and ranks fifth on the list of NJ online casinos. Its gaming library consists of 438 titles, including 411 slots, five blackjack, 15 video poker, and seven table games.
If you’re ready to try something new at SugarHouse, give one of its newest offerings a chance:
- Crowning Glory: Bets are small on this game, from 20 cents to $20, but the max payout is a whopping $430,000. There are no Wilds, but symbols can expand to 3 reels high and 3 reels wide, making for some nice wins. The Royal Reel Bonus is randomly triggered and will display a 10-position wheel. Once the spinning stops the highlighted symbol is transferred to the reels and placed in 5 positions to increase your chance for a win. If you hit the Bonus crown, the Free Spins game begins. You can also achieve the Free Games bonus with 3 or more Bonus crowns on a payline during regular play.
- Lotus Land: This slot plays on symbols representative of various Asian cultures, such as a golden elephant, cobra, tiger, parasol, and princess, as well as 9 through Ace. These symbols can show up solo or stacked within reels. A blue orb serves as the Wild symbol—available on reels 2, 3, and 4 only—while the lotus is the Scatter. Three or more Scatters lead to the Free Spins bonus round. During your free spins, the Wild orb transforms from its traditional blue color and adds a multiplier. Green orbs are 2x, yellow are 3x, purple are 4x and the red is 5x your line bet.
- Smash the Pig: This game has two bonus rounds: Smash the Pig Bonus and Pick a Pig Bonus. You’ll need to spin 3-5 Pig symbols to trigger the Pick a Pig Bonus. You’ll have your choice of pigs, with each one representing a different hidden bonus. These range from a 1-20x random multiplier, additional pick, Win All! or the Bonus, where you trigger the Smash the Pig Bonus. Featuring a piggy bank loaded with cash, and paying left to right and right to left, Smash the Pig can also be awarded by getting 3 or more Smash the Pig symbols during regular spins. This bonus game has a unique Luck Meter.
While playMGM did add 13 new slots in May, the bigger news is that the live dealer format made its debut on the site.
You can now play American Blackjack, American Roulette, Baccarat Dragon Bonus and Casino Hold’em on playMGM. Tables are open Monday through Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 3 a.m. and Thursday through Sunday from noon to 3 a.m.
If you prefer slots, check out some of the new titles playMGM did add:
- Gypsy Riches: This slot features 5 reels and 25 paylines, as well as Stacked symbols, including the Gypsy Wild. A Gypsy Caravan acts as the Scatter, leading players to the Free Spins round. During this round, every Wild adds to the Crystal Ball Meter. Fill up the meter and earn Gold Spins, where you can win the Crystal Ball Meter multiple times, increasing your bonus win.
- Hula Nights: The theme here is very much Hawaiian. What is unique about the game is the Green Reels, which may appear on any spin and on more than one reel. Once the reels have stopped, a single symbol will appear on all green reels, giving you increased odds of making a win. During the Free Spins bonus game, these same green reels may appear but will have a mystery symbol that turns into a cash prize. If a Collect symbol also appears, you collect each and every cash prize. Should more than one Collect symbol appear, you collect the cash prizes for every one. Needless to say, this can lead to some really big wins. Even better is that during the Free Spins, if you get 3 or more Collect symbols, you are awarded additional spins (10-25).
- Triple Cash Wheel: This is a combination of old-school slots and Wheel of Fortune. Above your 5 reels sit three Cash Wheels. At the completion of any spin, these may randomly activate. If all 3 are activated, you’ll move to the Cash Wheel Bonus Game. This starts by selecting a ? mark tile from the grid. You will continue selecting until 3 matching symbols appear, which will determine your number of spins and the multiplier. Then the wheel will spin, awarding you cash or Free Games. Our other bonus feature is the QuickHit symbol, where 3 or more pay and you can get up to 1500x your bet if you hit 9!
PlayMGM’s online casino now boasts a total of 330 games, plus the four live dealer format options. Of that 330, 310 are slots, three are blackjack, 12 are video poker, and five are table games.
In April, Borgata launched its live dealer format in addition to 16 new games. They slowed down a bit in May, adding just six new slot titles, including:
- Big Prize Bubblegum: This game will take you back to your childhood and the joy that came tumbling out of the nickel bubblegum machines. With this slot, the reels are placed within a gumball machine and rain down from the top of the bowl. In addition to the game symbols, there are three coins that award bonus games (from 1 to 10 spins). That coin goes right into the gumball slot, just like your nickel used to. There’s also a Toy Bonus feature, contained within a toy capsule. Each toy provides for a different prize (cash, multiplier, mystery award). If you’re lucky enough to get the Tetris toy, you get to play the Pick Until You Pop bonus game, which can be sweetly rewarding.
- Luck O’ The Jackpot: This progressive slot features 5 reels and 192 paylines. But both reels and paylines are far from traditional: the reels are set in a 2-2-3-4-4 format, while the game pays for adjacent symbols, rather than more typical paylines. The Free Spins Bonus Game has you entering a cave with 9 barrels, and you’ll choose 3, which will provide you with a number of free spins and/or multipliers. Best of all are the 5 progressive jackpots: Blitz, Quick, Super, Mega and Colossal.
- Olympus Thunder: The gods that sit atop Mount Olympus are featured in this game, where you will experience Re-spins, Expanded Wilds, and an Olympus Bonus. This latter feature can provide up to 20 free games with a 3x multiplier. You just have to select the right gold coins and hope those gods are smiling on ya’.
Month-end totals for Borgata include 294 slot choices, four blackjack options, 12 video poker games, and 314 overall titles in its library (plus those live dealer games).