As one might expect, every sportsbook in New Jersey is planning something special for the Super Bowl.
DraftKings Sportsbook is going with an old favorite — Super Bowl Squares.
Technically, the book is calling it Big Game Squares because of NFL copyrights and whatnot. Now, New Jersey online sports betting is legal, but anybody in the country can play this game for free.
That’s not a typo. Big Game Squares is available for the entire country.
The entire US has a chance for a share of at least $50,000 in cash prizes. In fact, DraftKings has already pledged to bump that amount up for every 100,000 entries.
How to play Big Game Squares on DraftKings
If you’ve never played football squares before, that’s no problem. It’s not a game that requires too much thought.
Here’s what to do:
- Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. Make an account or log in, then head to the promotions tab. Tap “Play now.”
- Choose a square. The app will present you with a 10-x-10 grid with blank squares. Select the square you feel is best.
- Get your number. Just before the game begins, the app will randomly assign each square a number. At first, the number won’t mean anything, so don’t worry about it. Just keep it in mind.
- Watch the game. Watch the 2019 Super Bowl. Pay attention to the last digit of each team’s final score.
- Win! If your square’s numbers match those two digits, you win. DraftKings will be in touch regarding your prize amount.
A few things to note:
- The board will be blank for everyone, and there’s no way to know which numbers will go to each square.
- Users will only get to pick one square, so choose wisely.
- Multiple users can pick the same square.
- DraftKings will award prizes for having the correct combination of numbers at the end of each quarter.
DraftKings Sportsbook expands its reach
Don’t be deceived. Big Game Squares is absolutely a marketing stunt.
No sporting event draws more sports betting than the Super Bowl. Few events draw higher television ratings.
So, DraftKings Sportsbook wants to make a splash on the national stage with this promotion. The casual bettor will come running when he or she hears the siren call of free money.
The fact that players must download the app to play means that a wave of new user acquisition for the company is coming. For company management, paying $50,000+ for that is a no-brainer.
Nevertheless, there’s no reason not to try it. Heck, I write about gambling for a living, and I’m going to play.